By Constance Ndeleko
Resident of Chesogon are in profound thoughts after the loss of their loved ones and massive destruction of property that has left many homeless. However, even after the government called off the search mission of the missing people of Chesogon residents are not dropping their tools in search of their loved.
A mother of a 12 year old child overwhelmed with emotions in the area as well as other people who says, they will not relent with the search mission until they find the bodies of those who are still missing and accord them a proper burial. The event of this aftermath was largely affected by floods and mudslide due to the heavy downpour over the last few weeks.
As they struggle to ensure they have the bare minimum to survive, children and citizens of the area are at risk of being exposed to corona virus as social distancing and other directives given to help curb corona cannot be adhered to.
Rift Valley Regional Coordinator George Natembeya, who called off the search, said they had done thorough checks.
“We have found decimated body parts and it just shows the painful experience they went through. Most of the affected live uphill and they came down with the rocks and water, the bodies were totally battered,” said Mr Natembeya.
Elgeyo-Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen said it was saddening that the search had been called off with many people still missing.
“It is very sad that the regional commissioner has called off the search. Very unfortunate for the State to give up so fast. Even then we have supported our local men to continue the search and this (Thursday) afternoon they have found one body,” said Mr Murkomen, also the Senate majority leader.
The chairman of the displaced in Wewo, Mr Francis Murkomen, said they are yet to get adequate food leaving most of them begging for food in the neighboring villages.
He said with the hundreds forced to stay in the school, the chances of outbreak of the coronavirus was higher.
“There are no masks here. Most of them cannot even afford to buy food. Their houses were destroyed and are yet to recover from that. So, asking them to buy masks is out of question,” he said.
Children have been affected way beyond from loss of their parent(s), homes, family members, friends or neighbors. They need all the help to get them through this especially with their state of mind.
The government, promised to give Ksh50, 000 to each of the families who lost their loved ones due to the aftermath of the heavy showers to cushion them as they try to deal with the veracity of the phenomena in Chesegon along Marakwet-Pokot border. According to Rift Valley Regional Coordinator George Natembeya the funds are to cover expenses for the burial.
Additionally, he stated that more donation underway and the government will pay for DNA testing of the body parts that have already been found. So, far at least 18 bodies have been found with over 20 still unaccounted for.