We are a digital media company that is leveraging technology to improve children’s lives by making them visible. Our vision is a world where children are seen as players and not as spectators.
We do this by:
- Curating, creating, and circulating content on children in different ways, including audio, video, written materials, and infographics. We also train journalists on ethical reporting of children’s stories, considering the child’s best interest, and safeguarding.
- Child participation, whereby we train children to speak for themselves. We do this through five days of in-person training followed by a three-month mentorship program. In this time, children learn how to write, make videos, and conduct interviews while staying safe online. We also give them a platform where they can publish their content.
- Data. There is a considerable gap between data and action-oriented results emanating from the collected data to improve children’s lives. Therefore, we are working with data science platforms to analyze, visualize, and create models to enhance children’s lives using the data available.
Mtoto News Pillars
what we do
- Training We train children to use digital platforms to speak for themselves Mentorship
- Following the training is a three-month mentorship program where there is a pairing of children with experienced journalists who hone their skills.Platforms
- During the mentorship, children are provided with a platform to publish their stories and engage decision-makers in different capacities.
Virtual Child Participation Forums
- We hold regular child participation forums where children can express themselves and interact with decision-makers.
We are designing and developing tools and platforms to enable children to participate in various activities from an informed perspective.
The tools include:
Research and Data Analysis
Data is the new gold. Unfortunately, the children sector does not utilize the vast amount of data available on children.
Mtoto News works with child-focused agencies and government agencies to clean, understand, and visualize the data.
In addition to this, Mtoto News has partnered with Data Science platforms to develop Artificial Intelligence (AI) models using available data. We believe that children should be at the center of solving their problems; hence we endeavor to introduce children to data science and AI at a young age.
Our annual growing digital report details the impact of digital media on children.
Advocacy and Media Campaigns
Mtoto News has grown to be an authority in using digital media to campaign for children. Our campaigns are designed with the child as the focal point while looking at the campaign’s goals. We support organizations in designing, developing, and executing children’s campaigns.
To execute the plan, we use the 4Cs as follows:
- Culture: This segment explores people’s lives, attitudes, beliefs, and behavior regarding the campaign. We shall utilize this to make the campaign relevant to the target groups.
- Category: Depending on our campaign’s focus area, for example, an FGM campaign, we will shape our campaign based on the current happenings. Doing so will inform us on which other campaigns we can leverage to ensure that our messages are at the forefront.
- Company: What is the organization’s DNA? What are the goals? Why does it exist? What will make the target audience pay attention to communication? How is the project relevant to the target group’s life cycle and vice versa.
- Consumer: This fragment focuses on the attitudes, beliefs, and values of consumers. It looks at insights from the audience group and how the campaign seeks to provide solutions to these insights.
Building Media Capacity
We believe in the power of collaboration; hence, Mtoto News works to build media capacity to report in the child’s best interest.
Consequently, after building media capacity, to create a community of journalists, we make a database of child-focused journalists who focus on reporting children’s information.
This community of journalists has been behind children’s impact stories in their respective countries.